REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
JOB DESCRIPTOR: K05
SCHEDULE: N D
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB:
To act under the general direction of the Superintendent of Schools. The Director of Special Programs shall assume responsibility for planning, development, coordination, and management of all special education programs, services, budgets and personnel, and shall ensure compliance with state and federal regulations governing the delivery of services to students with disabilities.
JOB FUNCTIONS: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Supervises and directs district-wide program development, budget development, and personnel in Special Education and related services in conjunction with building principals where programs are stationed within the school
2. Monitors the State and Federal rules governing students with disabilities within the school district, and expenditures of general fund and grant monies. Completes reports in an accurate and timely manner for the Wyoming Department of Education.
3. Supervises and directs the operation of the Special Services Center.
4. Monitors the placement procedures for special education students within the school district as well as those students placed in out-of-district educational settings.
5. Monitors the Extended School Year Programs for the school district during the summer.
6. Supervises and directs the development of in-service activities for special programs for the school district.
7. Supervises nurses and counselor/social workers for the school district, along with the assistance of the building principal where the staff member is assigned.
8. Promotes positive public relations with the community and within the school district by using positive verbal and non-verbal communications and interaction skills at all times.
9. Supervises and evaluates office personnel at the Special Services Center.
Assists building principals with supervision of special programs personnel as requested by the principal.
Assists with screening and interviewing of special education personnel as requested by building principal.
Assists buildings or departments with the development of fiscal budgets annually.
Develops or assists with the development of school district policies as requested.
Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
--EMPLOYEES ARE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ALL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB--
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND MENTAL ABILITY:
Knowledge of Individuals with Disability Education Act (IDEA) and rules governing students with disabilities in Wyoming Public Schools.
Knowledge of computerized Special Education Automated System for Individual Education Plans.
Knowledge of and application of Supervision Model of Personnel as prescribed by Campbell County School District.
Knowledge of school district Financing Model as prescribed by Campbell County School District.
Ability to follow and successfully complete both written and oral directions.
Ability to enunciate clearly and communicate positively throughout the work day.
Ability to calculate accurately.
Possess visual acuity, aided or non-aided, to read and interpret accurately written reports of a technical nature.
Ability to work with various personality types.
Possess sound emotional judgment.
EDUCATION, LICENSE, CERTIFICATION OR FORMAL TRAINING
Teaching experience required, and administrative experience preferred.
A Master's Degree from an accredited college or university.
Proper certification issued by the Wyoming Department of Education for position of Director of Special Programs.
Such alternatives as the Board of Trustees of Campbell County School District may find appropriate and acceptable.
Variety of Technology
Possess visual acuity and stamina to work at a computer monitor for at least part of each day. Possess sufficient strength to lift boxes that weight up to 50 pounds and be able to move them as far as 50 feet.
Air conditioned buildings. Occasional exposure to weather extremes.