REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Assessment
JOB DESCRIPTOR: K29
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB:
The Science Center Director is responsible for all aspects of the Science Center for the purpose of providing a high quality science related educational experience for all students. The Director is also responsible for the elementary science curriculum and providing meaningful classroom materials that assist elementary teachers in providing students with a high quality science education.
1. Supervise the safe and effective operation of the Science Center including the Adventurarium and the science kit program.
2. Supervise and evaluate Science Center staff.
3. Coordinate the Adventurarium’s exhibits to support the District’s science program.
4. Keep Adventurarium exhibits operational and attractive.
5. Keep or cause to be kept, accurate records of the Science Center as required.
6. Plan and present demonstrations to student groups.
7. Establish and monitor a budget.
8. Serve as the Elementary Science Facilitator and perform all the duties of the role.
9. Develop classroom activities for science teachers.
10. Assist teachers in their understanding of science content and instructional methodology.
11. Assist in planning and conducting Mallo Camp.
12. Strive to improve professional competence.
13. Advocate for science education.
1. Serve as a resource person for classroom teachers.
2. Serve as a science resource person for the community.
3. Other duties as assigned.
--EMPLOYEES ARE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ALL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB-
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND MENTAL ABILITY:
1. Knowledge of elementary and secondary science curriculum and State and National Science Standards.
2. Possess the ability to communicate orally and in writing with a variety of publics.
3. Possess the ability to make exciting presentations to groups of students and adults.
4. Have a desire to expand knowledge of content and instructional methodology.
5. Knowledge of relevant technology and software.
6. Possess strong interpersonal skills to promote the activities of the Science Center.
EDUCATION, LICENSE, CERTIFICATION, OR FORMAL TRAINING
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Science and/or Elementary Education
2. Master’s Degree in Administration preferred
3. Valid driver’s license and defensive driving
Computer and related technology
- Be able to stand, walk, and sit for long periods without fatigue or discomfort.
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds and carry a distance of 100 feet.
- Be able to carry up to 15 pounds for a distance of 1000 feet.
- Be able to work inside Science Center and school classrooms.
- Be able to work in fluorescent lighting and air conditioning.
- Be able to be exposed to occasional weather extremes.