5035-R Attendance Areas and Attendance Area Change Requests
Attendance Area Change Requests
- Staffing will not be modified to honor attendance area change requests.
- Elementary decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis and will be made by the receiving principals unless otherwise stipulated in this regulation. Among the factors to be considered will be current enrollment and staffing at the desired grade level at the receiving school and the transferring student's record at his or her current school.
- Approved attendance area requests for students entering grades K-6 are good for the school year for which the request was made. Requests must be made each and every school year.
- A student wishing to enter seventh grade at a junior high that is not in their attendance area will complete an attendance area change request form. Approval or denial for seventh grade area change requests will be made by the receiving principal.
- Grade 8-12 requests are due April 15 of each year. However, the district recognizes attendance area change requests may be made during the summer due to changing circumstances. Every attempt will be made to approve or deny requests by early August.
- Grades 8-12 decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis and will be made by the receiving junior high principal and the appropriate feeder high school principal. Consultation with activity directors will take place as needed. Among the factors to be considered will be current enrollment and desired grade level staffing at the receiving school, as well as the transferring student's record at the current school.
- For families with more than one child seeking approval of an attendance area change request to a particular school, a request must be made for each student. Having one child receive approval of an attendance area change request does not automatically admit other children from the same family.
- Any student approved to attend a school outside his or her normal attendance area is expected to be a good school citizen and live up to the receiving school's attendance and behavioral standards. Students who do not meet the requirements set forth by the receiving school will jeopardize their continued privilege of attending the receiving school. Students approved to attend grades 8-12 on an attendance area change request will be allowed to remain at the receiving high school for the remainder of their high school years, unless the student is expelled and not allowed to return to school.
ADOPTION DATE: January 12, 1988; Revised May 9, 1994 (formerly 5117-R); June 10, 1996; Revised April 8, 2003; Reviewed March 11, 2008; Revised November 22, 2016; Revised July 18, 2018
CROSS REFERENCE(S): 5035, 5300 and 5300-R Activities Participation Eligibility